The Los Angeles-San Diego-San Luis Obispo (LOSSAN) Rail Corridor Agency.
Thursday, November 16, 2023 | 03:24 in the afternoon
ORANGE, CA. — In anticipation of increased holiday travel, Amtrak® Pacific Surfliner® is announcing advance reservations for passengers during the Thanksgiving holiday period and adjustments to their travel schedule during the December holiday season.
November travel updates
During the Thanksgiving holiday period, advance reservations will be required for Amtrak® Pacific Surfliner® trains and Thruway connecting buses from Wednesday, November 22 through Monday, November 27, 2023. While additional cars and buses will be deployed to increased seating capacity, customers are strongly encouraged to plan ahead and book early to ensure tickets are available.
Checked bags will be refunded for passengers from Saturday, November 18 through Tuesday, November 28 at staffed Pacific Surfliner stations: San Diego, Fullerton, Los Angeles, Van Nuys, Oxnard, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.
During the booking period, the Rail 2 Rail and Metrolink code share programs will be temporarily suspended and Metrolink and COASTER passes will not be accepted on these dates. Programs will resume on November 28.
Amtrak monthly passes and 10-trip passes can still be used. However, Amtrak Monthly Pass or 10-Trip Ticket holders will need to confirm each trip (train and date) in advance through the Amtrak RideReserve program when traveling between November 22 through November 27, 2023. During this time, 10-Trip tickets can are only used by one rider at a time.
Although reservations are required, passengers must ride on the train listed on their tickets. If travel plans change, customers must adjust the reservation prior to scheduled departure. This can be done online at Amtrak.com, by phone at 800-USA-RAIL, or at a staffed Amtrak station.
December travel updates
Los Angeles’ Union Station will be temporarily closed for track and signal upgrades from December 26 to December 29, 2023. During that time, for the first time, the Pacific Surfliner will bypass Union Station to travel along the east bank of the Los Angeles River and across part of the Alameda Corridor. It will be a historic week for the service, providing passengers with a one-of-a-kind travel experience on a never-before-seen route.
The train schedule during this period will be altered to provide alternative accommodation for passengers.
- Bus service to and from LA Union Station and Glendale Station will be provided for all 700 series trains.
- Bus service to and from LA Union Station and Fullerton Station will be provided on the 562, 564, 572, 586, 573, 581, 589 and 595 trains.
- Trains 580 and 591 will be suspended.
- Train 587 will also be stopped and replaced by special train 589, which will run one hour later.
Learn more about these travel advisories at pacificsurfliner.com/alerts.
Tips to ensure a safe and trouble-free trip
- Opt out if you have to: Pacific Surfliner tickets can be canceled with a full refund to the original payment method without fees if canceled prior to departure.
- Baggage: Take on board free of charge no more than two carry-on bags per passenger up to 28″ x 22″ x 11″ and weighing 50 pounds or less. Two personal items may also be taken on board. Checked bags are only available from 18 at staffed stations until November 28. No checked baggage will be accepted outside of these dates.
- Traveling off-peak and arriving early: The busiest travel days are usually Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday of Thanksgiving week. Morning trains tend to have more availability than later trains. Customers are encouraged to arrive at the station 45 minutes prior to departure.
Visit PacificSurfliner.com/holiday to learn more and book a trip.