The Pan American Games Santiago 2023 will be the largest multi-sport event ever held in Chile. From October 20 to November 5, some 7,000 athletes from across the continent will gather for a competition that, for many of them, will double as a qualification for Olympic games Paris 2024. And the country is frantically preparing the venues for the event.
The heart of these Pan Am Games will be National Stadium Sports Park, one of the greatest legacies that Santiago 2023 will leave. Around the historic Coliseum, which hosted the 1962 FIFA World Cup final, there is now a multi-disciplinary sports complex with 12 facilities that will host 20 sports during the games.
It is located at the foot of the Andes Penyalolen Park, a sports park built for the 2014 South American Games, recognizable from above thanks to the dome of its velodrome, a symbol of Chilean Olympism. This venue and its surroundings will host five sports at Santiago 2023.
O’Higgins Park, a large green area in the center of Santiago; San Cristóbal Metropolitan Park, one of the largest urban parks in Latin America; and the beaches of Viña del Mar or Pichilemu will also serve as the setting for these Pan Am Games.
With 200 days until Santiago 2023, we take a look at the most important venues for the upcoming Pan American Games.
2023 Pan American Games Venues 2023 – Peñalolén and Cerrillos Park
There are two other main centers of action at Santiago 2023. Peñalolén Park was built for the 2014 South American Games and has three facilities that will host five sports: the velodrome (which will be home to track cycling and figure skating, as well as beach volleyball in its surroundings), a BMX racing track and an archery range.
Cerrillos’ Bicentennial Park will be the stage for baseball, softball and sport climbing events, and will also be home to approximately 7,000 athletes who will compete in the Pan American Games.
- Velódromo: track cycling, figure skating, beach volleyball
- Pista BMX: Cycling BMX Racing
- Archery Center: Archery
Cerrillos Bicentennial Park
- Athletic village
- Baseball and Softball Center: Baseball, Softball
- Parque Cerrillos Climbing Walls: Sport Climbing
2023 Pan American Games Venues – Santiago Metropolitan Region
Other Pan American Games venues will be scattered throughout the city, with eleven municipalities of the Santiago Metropolitan Region hosting Pan American Games events in 2023. From large green areas such as O’Higgins Park (Santiago Centro) and San Cristóbal Metropolitan Park (Providencia), to the Olympic Training Center (Ñuñoa), home to the Chilean Olympic Committee and most of the country’s sports federations.
- Arena Park O’Higgins (Santiago Centro): volleyball
- Campo de Marte in Parque O’Higgins (Santiago Centro): athletics (marathon, race walking)
- Maipo Island: Road Cycling
- Chimkowe Gym (Peñalolén): hacking, weightlifting
- Olympic Training Center (Ñuñoa): badminton, boxing, wrestling, table tennis
- Military School (Las Condes): modern pentathlon
- Spanish Stadium (Las Condes): 3×3 basketball, basque ball
- Prince of Wales Country Club (La Reina): golf
- Pudahuel shooting range: shooting
- La Pintana Municipal Stadium: Rugby 7s
- Laguna Los Morros (San Bernardo): marathon swimming, water skiing
- Centro de Bowling (La Florida): bowling
- San Cristobal Metropolitan Park (Providencia): mountain biking
Venues for the 2023 Pan American Games – Valparaiso
Although the 2023 Pan American Games are named after Chile’s capital, some events will be hosted in other regions of the country. Mainly neighboring Valparaiso, where six sports will be held. Here, the water takes center stage with sailing events in the municipality of Algarbo, a triathlon on El Sol Beach and a canoe slalom on the Aconcagua River. But here you can also see team sports like football or handball.
- Sausalito Stadium (Viña del Mar): Men’s Soccer
- Playa El Sol (Vina del Mar): Triathlon
- Sports center Gym (Viña del Mar): handball
- Elias Figueroa Stadium (Valparaiso): women’s soccer
- Aconcagua River (Andes): Canoe Slalom
- Riding School of the Grenadier Regiment (Quillota): horse riding
- Pacific Maritime Brotherhood (Algarobo): Sailing
2023 Pan American Games Venues – O’Higgins and Biobio
The two southernmost regions of the 2023 Pan American Games will host aquatics. Punta de Lobos, a World Surfing Reserve destination that is part of the Big Wave World Tour, will be home to the surfing events. Meanwhile, Laguna Grande’s natural lagoon will host the rowing and canoe sprint events.
- Punta de Lobos (Pichilemu, O’Higgins): surf
- Laguna Grande (San Pedro de la Paz, Biobio): canoe sprint, rowing
Click here for full list of locations for the 2023 Pan American Games to be held in Santiago from October 20 to November 5, and the Parapan American Games to follow from November 17 to 26.