America continues the trend of eating at home, celebrating life’s special moments by cooking and entertaining family and friends
CINCINNATI, January 25, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — The Kroger Co . (NYSE: KR), the American grocer, today announced its 2023 Food Trends Report, which predicts emerging food trends, consumer behavior and popular products for the year ahead. The fifth annual report focuses on America’s continued eating-at-home habits as pandemic concerns subside* with consumers now looking to catch up and celebrate everything from life’s special moments to everyday milestones. having fun and cooking at home with family and friends.
“This is the year of celebration as we enjoy being together with family and friends,” said Stuart Aitken, Senior Vice President, Chief Merchandiser and Marketing Director. “Customers have not only learned to cook during the pandemic, they have grown to love it. In 2023, cooking at home remains a mainstay, with customers coming together to celebrate lost time and save money as inflation eases. From global flavors and elevating a specialty dish to household staples, Kroger is proud to offer our customers fresh, affordable food every day, and we’re honored to play a small part in so many shared happy moments.”
Foods and flavors that make everyone happy: From grandparents to Gen Z, throwing a holiday celebration that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser is top of mind for hosts and entertainers alike. Ready-to-eat products such as cheese, cheesecake and salt and pepper flavored products are more popular than ever with customers. From elevating custom sausages, adding a special twist to family favorite snacks and meals, to satisfying a sweet tooth, shoppers are falling in love with these favorite foods and flavors all over again.
Products to try:
- Murray’s Cave Aged Gruyere
- Private Selection New York Style Cheesecake
- Private selection of Greek olives and Feta mix
- Private Selection Baked Poblano Queso Blanco Dip
- Home Chef Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Casserole
- Private selection Creamy macaroni and cheese set
- Simple Truth A non-dairy Parmesan-style vegetable cheese
- Simple Truth Raspberry Cheesecake Greek Frozen Yogurt Bars
- Coffee creamer with caramel from a private selection
- Privately selected chips with cracked pepper and sea salt
- Murray’s Mini-Bree
Host Facilitation: Customers are looking for ease when it comes to daily breakfast, meal planning and hosting. Dips and dippers have become a favorite, whether for a tasty snack or a party-goer’s delight. From fresh veggies to protein-packed, the options are endless for a satisfying dip and dipper combination. Sweet snacks are also on the rise, with customers looking to spice up their traditional savory snacks or looking for an easy dessert option to add to the holiday.
Products to try:
- Kroger Chicken Salad
- Simple Truth Organic Black Bean Dip
- Private Selection Hass Avocado Ranch Dip
- Simple Truth Ancient Grains Jalapeno Cilantro Gluten Free Rice Crackers
- Private selection Baby cucumbers without seeds
- Simple Truth Organic Peas
- Private selection sweet pretzels with brown butter
- Simple Truth Sugar Cookie Confetti Cashew
- Kroger Brand Caramel Cheddar Popcorn
- A private selection of tangerines without gold seeds
- Simple Truth Plant-Based Mini Cookies
Preparing a special dish: Home-cooked meals remain a staple, with shoppers continuing to find ways to improve their menus. During the pandemic, customers have become more engaged with seafood, and the grocer says the trend continues to grow. Look for things like shrimp, scallops, and crab cakes to add a special element to a meal and save money instead of eating seafood at a restaurant.
Products to try:
- Private selection Cold smoked Alaskan wild salmon
- Home Chef Grilled Atlantic Salmon with Lemon Garlic Butter
- Kroger Spicy Garlic Shrimp Shrimp
- Kroger Beer Shrimp
- Private Selection Shrimp Queso with Green Chili Dip
- Private selection Crab cakes
- Private selection wild sea scallops wrapped in bacon
Celebrate our heritage: Foods and flavors from around the world are perceived as customer favorites. Families and friends bond over meals, boasting ingredients that celebrate diversity in food.
Products to try:
- Private Selection Chimichurri blend inspired by Argentina
- Kroger Chinese Inspired Chicken Fried Rice
- A private selection inspired by the Indian Tikka Masala sauce
- Kroger 90 Second Cilantro Lime Rice
- Home Chef Indian Style Chicken Curry Soup
- Simple Truth Organic Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- Private Selection Chili Crisp Seasoning
- Home Chef Carne Asada Street Taco Kit
- Kroger Yum Yum Sauce
- Kroger Korean-Inspired Meatballs
- Home Cook Thai Coconut Curry Chicken
Customers can get their favorite trending items and more by shopping in-store Kroger Pickup or delivered through Boost by Kroger Plus, the annual grocery delivery membership that can save customers up to 1000 dollars per annum for fuel and provision of groceries. Eligible customers can now try Boost membership with a free 30-day trial and subscribe on a monthly basis for as little as $7.99 month.
*84.51º, Kroger’s Retail and Data Insights and Media division reports that customers say their concerns about COVID-19 are at an all-time low for two consecutive months.
Media assets are available for download here.
In The Hooks Co. (NYSE: KR), we are dedicated to our purpose: to feed the human spirit™. We are, in our family of companies, almost half a million associates who serve over 11 million customers daily through seamless digital shopping and retail grocery stores under various banner namesserving America by inspiring and elevating food and creating #ZeroHungerZeroWaste communities by 2025. To learn more about us, visit our editing and Investor Relations site.
SOURCE The Kroger Co.