Mississippi prison escapee found dead in New Orleans as search continues for another on the loose

(CNN) A man who escaped from a Mississippi prison last month with three others has been found dead in New Orleans, a sheriff said Tuesday, leaving only one of the four apparently still at large.

The body of Casey Grayson, 34, was found in a vehicle at a truck stop on Sunday, according to a tweet by Tyree Jones, Sheriff of Hinds County, Mississippi. Grayson’s cause of death has not yet been determined, Jones added.

That leaves Corey Harrison, 22, as the last man authorities are looking for among the four who authorities say escaped from the Raymond Detention Center in Mississippi near Jackson around the night of April 22.

About the other two: Dylan Arrington — a 22-year-old accused of killing a Mississippi pastor while on the run on April 24 — was found dead in a burned Mississippi house on April 26 after a standoff with law enforcement, authorities said. And Jerry Raines, 51, was arrested April 27 in Texas, authorities said.

Arrington, Grayson, Harrison and Raines were reported missing from the Raymond jail, located about 15 miles west of downtown Jackson, after a routine count around 12:30 a.m. on April 23, Jones said.

From left: Jerry Raines, Dylan Arrington, Corey Harrison and Casey Grayson.

How authorities say the escape unfolded

After the jail was locked down, staff discovered two breaches inside the facility — one in a cell and another in the roof, Jones said. Authorities believe the group climbed onto the roof around 8:30 p.m. on April 22, camped there and left the property at various times, he said.

Before the escape, Raines was taken into custody on auto theft and burglary charges, the Hinds County Sheriff’s Office said. Arrington was charged with auto theft and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, while Grayson was being held on charges of grand theft and sale of a controlled substance, according to the office. Harrison was facing a charge of receiving stolen property before the escape, officials said.

Investigators believe Arrington shot and killed the pastor in Jackson, Mississippi, on April 24, then stole the pastor’s truck and drove away, Hinds County authorities said. The victim was identified by authorities and a church associate as the Rev. Anthony Watts of St. Mary’s Missionary Baptist Church.

On April 25, authorities in Mississippi’s Leake County said they received reports that one of the fugitives, later identified as Arrington, had been spotted in the area.

The next morning, Leake County Sheriff Randy Atkinson and an investigator responded to a Carthage home where the fugitive was believed to be hiding, but had to take cover as the suspect began shooting at them from inside, Atkinson said. The investigator was hit in the leg and transported to the hospital.

As other law enforcement officers responded to the scene, the suspect continued to fire, Atkinson said. At some point during the two hours of inactivity, the home began to smoke. Arrington’s body was later found in the burned home, about 70 miles northeast of the detention center, and the cause of his death is under investigation, Jones said.

Raines was captured in Spring Valley, Texas, on April 27, Jones said. A truck that investigators believe was stolen by Raines was also recovered in Texas, authorities said.

“Raines will be held to face extradition” back to Mississippi, Jones said last week.

Raines waived extradition Friday, his attorney, John Duong, told CNN that day. Hinds County had 14 days to get Raines or the matter would be taken up in court, Duong said Friday.

CNN’s Amy Simonson, Holly Yan, Elizabeth Wolfe, Devon M. Sayers and Alta Spells contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *