The cost of required University Travel Insurance will increase to $2.50/day effective August 15, 2023.

Body of the notification

Are you an Auburn University faculty or staff member planning to travel outside the 50 United States on Auburn business? If so, you are required to submit a RAT50 form at least 30 days before departure and take out travel insurance with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) through the University. Effective August 15, 2023, the cost of the insurance premium will increase from $2/day to $2.50/day.

This fee increase applies to both Auburn travelers and their insured dependents (spouse or child). The premium for Auburn travelers is paid from their university faculty’s FOAP account, but they are still responsible for paying their dependent’s insurance premium to Auburn University. In case the trip starts before August 15th and continues after that date, the increased rate will apply for the days on or after August 15th.

Please note that any RAT50 submitted before August 15th with travel dates on or after August 15th will show the old rate of $2/day on the form until the new rate is officially activated on the form on August 15th. The Travel Insurance Coordinator (TIC) will adjust the rate for Auburn travelers whose travel dates are on or after August 15th, and this adjusted rate will be billed to the traveler’s FOAP and to the Auburn traveler themselves for their dependents.

For a detailed description of the RAT50 process, please review the content below.

You will need an approved form RAT50 for the following reasons:

1. Be insured under Auburn’s International Emergency Travel Insurance which provides medical and evacuation security benefits.

2. Obtain a consular letter detailing insurance for any visa appointments abroad.

3. To reconcile travel expenses for the purchase of a card, such as an airline ticket.

4. To send with your eTravel voucher, which is used to reimburse travel expenses.

To access the RAT50 form:

Go to the AU Access Staff tab and select RAT50 in the Travel section. Here you will find instructions and useful information for completing the RAT50 form, as well as the form itself. After reading the instructions, please continue to the bottom of the page and click “Switch to RAT50”. Click on the tab titled “Add/Edit RAT50” to complete your RAT50. Travelers traveling to US DOS Level 3 and 4 destinations must electronically sign a “Risk Agreement” in the “Level 3 or 4 Travel Advice” section of the RAT50 form. If you are traveling to Cuba, a separate electronic signature agreement document will appear. At the bottom of the form you have the option to ‘Save and continue or come back later’ or ‘Submit’. Once you press Submit, your RAT50 is routed to your supervisor and then to the TIC for approval.

RAT50 approval:

Once your RAT50 is approved, you will receive an email from TIC, [email protected], which indicates your RAT50 approval and informs you to expect an email from CISI containing a “welcome pack” with insurance information, an insurance card and a consular letter. If you don’t see this email in your inbox, please check your Junk and Deleted Items folders. To access your approved RAT50, select the “Full RAT50” tab on the RAT50 dashboard (where you originally submitted the form). Here you will see your complete list of RAT50 approved trips. Select the appropriate approved RAT50 and keep a copy for your records.

Traveling with dependents such as spouse and/or child(ren):

Any dependents traveling with you can also be insured. Simply add the dependent information at the bottom of the RAT50 form. Once your RAT50 is fully approved, you will receive an email from TIC, [email protected], payment request for listed dependents. Payment can be made by cash or check (made out to Auburn University) and mailed to the campus, US Post Office, or dropped off at 243 Foy Hall during RAT50 business hours. Once payment is received, you will receive an email notifying you that your dependents have been enrolled and expect an email from CISI with a “Welcome Pack”, just like you received, but with information about your dependents instead.


If you submitted a RAT50 but never received an email notification, the RAT50 may have been lost or accidentally queued to the wrong person. TIC, [email protected], can find it and let you know if it was queued incorrectly or is stuck in someone else’s queue waiting for approval. TIC cannot approve travel requests, so you must email everyone in the queue. This helps propel the RAT50 to its final destination.

Non-US citizens traveling to their home country on Auburn business:

If you are not a US citizen and plan to travel to your home country on Auburn work, you must still file a RAT50 form.

When is Form RAT50 not used?

1. For travel within the 50 United States, including Hawaii and Alaska.

2. For students going on study abroad programs: Students are enrolled in international emergency travel insurance, even though Auburn Abroad, [email protected].

3. For student athletes and coaches traveling with them: Student athletes and coaches are covered by a different type of insurance policy. Contact the Athletics Department for more information.

4. For personal travel: If you are taking a personal trip or holiday abroad, do not submit a RAT50. Individual foreign travel insurance plans outside of Auburn can be found on the web.

For questions related to the RAT50 process, please email [email protected].

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *