MEMPHIS, TN – The Memphis softball team dropped back-to-back games Friday night. The Tigers (4-21) fell 6-3 at Northwestern State, followed by a 16-2 loss at Indiana. The Tigers are currently on a five game losing streak and looking to add another win this weekend.
“Softball is a game of adjustments and we continue to stick to the process, looking to get better and better with each game.” Said the head coach Stephanie Van Brackle Prothro. “We shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times tonight, but we’re going to continue to stick to the process, like I keep saying, and we’re going to continue to try to get better with every pitch and every at-bat.”
Northwestern State 6, Memphis 3
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
• Sam Ibison recorded the Tigers’ hit of the game, singling to the shortstop in the bottom of the first inning. Ibison would go home as Kendall Lee hit a single up the middle, scoring first for Memphis.
• Northwestern State tied the score with back-to-back doubles, Chaffin sending Marshall. The Lady Demons doubled their lead when Chaffin reached home on a fielder’s choice in the top of the second inning.
• Lynsey Hargis tied the score with a single up the middle Neely Taylor in the bottom of the second inning.
• The Lady Demons added two more runs to their lineup in the top of the third inning when Chaffin hit a two-run single to left field. Chaffin scored another run for Northwestern State, reaching home on an error at shortstop.
• Northwestern State plated another run as Walker hit a one-out single up the middle in the top of the sixth inning.
• Taylor’s death hit a double in the bottom of the sixth inning as the Tigers looked to rally. Smrt would add a run for Memphis as Aliana Zavala hit a one-out single to center field.
• Hallie Sims started 2.1 and recorded three hits before being released by Mikayla Hoshak in the top of the third inning. Hoschak went 4.2 innings and recorded x strikeouts.
• Hargis led the Tigers by going 2-for-3 with one run, hitting .333, followed by Lee, who went 1-for-3 with one RBI, hitting .328, and Ibison, who went 1-for-4 with one run and hit .312 .
Indiana 16, Memphis 2
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
• Indiana struck first when Park hit a two-run single up the middle with the bases loaded in the top of the first inning. The Hoosiers added two more runs to increase their lead early.
• Indiana continued its streak with a one-run double down the right field line by Kern in the top of the second inning.
• Zoe Adebayo recorded the Tigers’ first hit of the game in the bottom of the third inning. Adebayo would come in for Memphis on Ibison’s single to center field to cut the lead to one.
• Hoosiers added three runs at bat. Bassett hit a one-run single through left field, followed by a two-run home run to center field by Kern in the top of the fourth inning.
• Indiana plated a two-run double to center field by Copeland and added another run when Meeks singled through the right side before being thrown out at second base to end the top of the fourth inning.
• Indiana kept rolling, scoring back-to-back at-bats: Kern hit a one-run single to shortstop, followed by Minich hitting a two-run single to right field in the top of the fifth inning. The Hoosiers would add two more runs before the inning ended.
• Kelsey Adams appeared by hitting a double in the bottom of the fifth inning. Adams hit a home run for the Tigers To Megan Chism single hit up the middle.
• Riley Duggar started xx innings and recorded x strikeouts.
• Adebayo and Adams scored the only runs for the Tigers, with Ibison and Chism recording the two RBIs for Memphis.
• Ibison went 2-for-3 with one RBI and hit .333. Chism went 1-for-3 with one RBI.
• The Tigers will face Indiana tomorrow at 2:30 p.m., followed by Northwestern State at 5 p.m.
How to follow tigers:For complete information on Memphis Tigers softball, visit www.GoTigersGo.com and follow the team’s social media channels atTwitterInstagram and Facebook.