Nick Reiner He reportedly has yet to receive visits from family members during his time in prison after being charged with the murders of his parents, Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner.
Relatives are said to be keeping their distance as they struggle to come to terms with the allegations against him, while also mourning the deaths of Rob and Michele Reiner.
The accused is due to appear in court again on February 23, where he will be represented by a public defender following the sudden withdrawal of his high-profile lawyer.
Nick Reiner’s family still doesn’t understand the alleged murder of his parents
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA
In December, Nick Reiner was arrested for allegedly killing his parents, Rob and Michele Reiner, at their home in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, California.
He is currently being held at the Twin Towers Correctional Center and has reportedly had no contact or prison visits from family members.
Sources have now explained why the family are keeping their distance amid ongoing legal proceedings ahead of Nick’s murder trial.
“This is not a minor misunderstanding or scandal,” an insider told Rob Shuter’s #ShuterScoop. “He killed their parents. That changes everything.”
Another source described the family’s feelings as “pain beyond horror”, while suggesting they still haven’t come to terms with the murder charges against Nick.
“They’re crying to their parents as they try to understand what he did. After that, you don’t just walk into a visiting room,” the insider said.
Some family members feel it is too soon to visit Nick Reiner
ZUMAPRESS.com / MEGA
During the early days of Nick’s time in prison, he was placed under suicide watch, as is customary in such cases.
The alleged killer has since been taken off suicide watch and is now allowed to have visitors if he wants.
However, he is unlikely to have visitors as some of his relatives believe it is too early. That position is also said to be unlikely to change given the seriousness of the allegations against him.
“It’s too early — and for some of them, it may always be too early,” an insider said, according to the report.
Siblings of alleged killer son set ‘boundaries’ with their silence
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA
Nick is the eldest child of Rob and Michele Reiner, who also have two other children, Max and Robbie.
His siblings and several of his other relatives have been forced to watch in shock as the family remains under intense public scrutiny while Nick awaits trial.
For all, the chosen approach is one of “silence”. It seems that this is not meant as a punishment or an act of revenge against Nick, but rather as a way to establish a necessary boundary.
“Silence is not about cruelty,” said one source. “It’s about boundaries. It’s about surviving the unthinkable.”
The Reiner family apparently wants Nick Reiner’s medical history to remain private
LuMarPHOTO / AFF-USA.COM / MEGA
It was previously reported that Nick’s family were deeply concerned that more details of his medical history could be made public.
Already, claims that the accused has been diagnosed with schizophrenia have been swirling since his arrest, something the family never wanted as they intentionally kept these details from the public to protect them.
“They worked so hard to keep these issues private — no one knew about them,” a source told Rob Shuter.
If more information about Nick’s medical history were to come to light, it is expected to deal a heavy emotional blow to the family, who remain deeply concerned about Nick, albeit from a distance.
“This isn’t just a legal case – it’s a family tragedy,” another insider said. “They are terrified of what will happen if this becomes public and the impact it will have on everyone who loved Rob, Michele and Nick.”
Rob Reiner’s alleged killer son has yet to enter a plea to murder charges
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA
Nick has yet to enter a plea to the two charges of murder under special circumstances, but is likely to when he returns to court on February 23.
He is currently being represented by a public defender after his high-profile lawyer, Alan Jackson, abruptly withdrew as a lawyer during a hearing last month.
This forced the court hearing to be rescheduled to the aforementioned date to give the public defender time to familiarize himself with the case.
Following a plea, further hearings are expected, along with other court proceedings, such as the exchange of evidence between the parties, possible motions regarding the defendant’s mental health, and arguments regarding the admissibility of evidence.
Finally, Nick’s trial will take place, and if found guilty, he could face the death penalty.